Becoming A Member
Prospective Member Info and Requirements
a little history about us…
eye lounge is a collective artist-run contemporary art space in downtown Phoenix committed to fostering emerging and established local visual artists. Founded in 1999, eye lounge features new exhibitions every month.
about being a member…
Up to 22 member artists pay monthly dues, attend monthly meetings and manage the gallery during the duration of his/her one month-long exhibition per year. Members sign a contract for 1 year and may be part of the collective for up to 3 years. Members are responsible for reception expenses, poster, invitations and postage for his/her exhibit, and also help out with marketing, installation, sitting gallery hours, capital improvements and involvement with the artistic and local community. Attendance at monthly meetings, held every last Sunday of the month, is mandatory.
Current eye lounge members are interested in cultivating an exciting art space with varied viewpoints, mediums, backgrounds and audiences. The desire to participate in a collective environment is an integral part of being an eye lounge member. Collaborative projects, fundraisers and numerous committees have formed in the spirit of cooperation and mutual assistance. eye lounge does not depend on grant support or commercial sales; therefore member artists control the artistic environment and presentation of their work in the space. Members have one solo show per year, participate in the annual Art Detour group show and have numerous other opportunities.
eye lounge does not “represent” member artists. Many current members exhibit in various locations within the Phoenix Metro area and beyond.
It is strongly recommended that potential members attend gallery shows and talk with members to become better acquainted with the process.
- Digital Portfolio of 10-15 images of recent work. Images should be saved as JPEGS of no more than 1000 pixels in the long direction. Title : Lastname_00#.jpg. Please feel free to include installation and exhibition shots in addition to standard images. Applicants working in time-based media may submit digital video (Quicktime preferred) not to exceed 10 minutes in length saved on cross-platform formatted CD-Rom or DVD.
- Image list corresponding to the JPEGS should include title, size, media and dates for each work. This list may include brief annotations regarding the context, nature or related specificsfor works. (save as .doc or .pdf)
- Artist Resume/CV with contact info- less than three pages preferred (save as .doc or .pdf)
- Artist Statement (save as .doc or .pdf)
- Cover Letter stating why you’re interested in becoming a member and what you would contribute to the collective. Cover letter can include a brief biography of the applicant. (save as .doc or .pdf) We are interested in the direction your work may be going, as well as what you are currently doing or have done in the past.
- Self-Addressed Stamped Envelope may be included only if applicant prefers materials to be returned.
Applications may be submitted via email or as hard copy.
Emailed applications may be sent to: email@example.com
Hard copy applications should be sent to:
eye lounge c/o New Member App
419 E. Roosevelt St.
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Eye lounge reviews new member applications several times a year.
There is no deadline but incomplete applications will not be reviewed, so please make sure you’ve included everything. Materials received will be reviewed within 4-8 weeks. Notification will be sent within six weeks of review.
It is strongly recommended that potential members attend gallery shows and talk with members to become better acquainted with the process. Occasionally, new member applications are helped by studio visits with current members.